“Knowledge will bring you the opportunity to make a difference.” – Claire Fagin
I read a book and can’t remember the name. They talked about the explosion of ingenuity that happened when the Romans put all the glassmakers on the island of Murano. They did this to keep their skills a secret, but also to keep possible fires from spreading. Because the glass makers were very close to each other, they were able to share ideas and their craft boomed.
I went to a financial advice convention in Huntington Beach, California early this week. Learned a lot and met a lot of people. We did not make glass, but we shared some wonderful ideas to help the people be more financially fit.
Met Matthew Ball who wrote the book, The Metaverse: And How it Will Revolutionize Everything. He talked about how life in the metaverse would be. When we look at Amazon, that is a website that was posted in the past. When we talk to our spouse, we have immediate feedback. There is no lag at all. It is a live experience. Matthew said he feels the metaverse will run in parallel to our lives and not replace it. It will be a tool we use. He said we are a long way from the technology being mainstream. Could be a couple of decades away.
Also learned how consumer behavior is changing. Namely lower attention spans. Surprised?
A Word on Market Volatility:
- A key principle of long-term investing is keeping market volatility in perspective.
- This means not just focusing on recent performance but on the broader context and different time frames.
- This chart shows the implied rates and number of hikes/cuts based on fed funds futures at future Fed meetings.
- Fed funds futures are an important real-time gauge for what the market expects from the Fed.
- The Fed is expected to raise rates through early 2023.
- Staying invested when markets become volatile is important to achieving long-term gains.
- This chart shows the effect of exiting the market for different durations of time immediately after -2% market days.
- Deciding when to re-enter is difficult and often results in worse performance than simply staying invested in the first place.
Let us know if you have any questions.
Email me at Jeremy@Riverbendwm.com or call 843-970-1049
On the lighter side, I took surfing lessons for the first time this past weekend at Huntington Beach. My instructor was from Charleston, SC. Small world. I got up a few times and had a great time.
Hope all is well with you and your family,
Finger Financial Five – 5 points in 5 minutes or less – is to provide you with a weekly shot of useful financial information. My intention is to share principles, so that you will have more clarity and peace, that help you make better financial decisions.
Investment advice offered through Stratos Wealth Advisors, LLC, a registered investment advisor; DBA Riverbend Wealth Management.
This content is developed from sources believed to be providing accurate information and provided by Riverbend Wealth Management. The opinions voiced in this material are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual. Stratos Wealth Partners and its affiliates do not provide tax, legal or accounting advice. This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, tax, legal or accounting advice. You should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors before engaging in any transaction.